The professional programmer’s Deitel® guide to tablet and smartphone app development using Android™ 6 and Android Studio
Millions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play! Android 6 for Programmers, 3rd Edition, (PDF) gives you everything you need to start developing great apps rapidly and getting them published on Google Play™. The ebook uses an app-driven approach–each new technology is discussed in the perspective of eight fully coded and tested Android apps, complete with syntax shading, code walkthroughs, code highlighting and sample outputs. Apps you’ll develop include:
- Flag Quiz
- Cannon Game
- Address Book
- Tip Calculator
- Welcome App
- Weather Viewer
- Twitter® Searches
Practical, Example-Rich Coverage of:
- Immersive Mode, PrintHelper
- Accessibility, Internationalization
- Cursors, Loaders, content providers
- Material Design Elevation and Icons
- Activities, Fragments, Intents, Preferences
- Material Design App Templates and Themes
- Supporting Various Screen Sizes/Resolutions
- Android 6, Android Studio: Gradle™, Theme Editor, Vector Asset Studio
- REST Web Services/JSON, SQLite™ Database, Threading, Android 6 Permissions
- AppCompat Library, RecyclerView, FloatingActionButton, Android Design Support Library, TextInputLayout
- GUIs, Layouts, Menus, Events, Touch/Gesture Processing, Images, Resource Files, Audio, Graphics, Animation
- Google Play™ Store, App Publishing, Pricing, In-App Advertising, Marketing, In-App Billing, Virtual Goods and more
- Download code examples
- Subscribe to the Deitel ® Buzz e-mail newsletter at www.deitel.com/newsletter/ subscribe.html
- For information on Deitel’s Dive Into® Series programming training courses, visit www.deitel.com/training
About This eBook
The first-generation Android phones were launched in October 2008. Until June 2015, Android had 82.8% of the international smartphone market share, paralleled to 2.6% for Microsoft and 13.9% for Apple. Millions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play and over one billion Android devices were dispatched worldwide in 2014 (http://www.cnet.com/news/android-shipments-exceed- 1-billion-for-first-time-in-2014/). The prospects for Android app developers are enormous.
This ebook presents leading-edge computing technologies for professional software developers. At the core of the ebook is the Deitel app-driven approach–concepts are accessible in the context of complete working Android apps, instead of using code snippets. The introduction and app test drives at the start of each chapter show one or more sample executions. The ebook’s source code is available at http://www.deitel.com/books/AndroidFP3.
The apps in this ebook were carefully designed to introduce you to important Android features and APIs. You’ll quickly learn everything you require to start building Android apps–beginning with a test-drive of the Tip Calculator app in Chapter 1, then constructing one new app in each of Chapters 2 through 9. By the time you reach Chapter 10, you’ll be ready to make your own apps for submission to Google Play and other app marketplaces. You’ll become skilled at the Google Play submission process, including uploading your apps. You’ll decide whether to sell your apps or provide them for free and learn how to market them through social media and monetize them with in-app advertising, in-app billing, virtual goods and more.
“I really love what you’re doing with the ebook. It has the ability to become the best Android ebook on the market. It’s inspiring to see so many well-explained beneficial examples of Android patterns.’ — Dan Galpin, Android Advocate and author of Intro to Android Application Development
‘‘I wish this ebook had been around when I started developing on Android. I haven’t seen any other ebooks cover app publishing so appropriately and the links given are an impressive collection. You get full applications that show numerous parts of the APIs working together.’’ — Douglas Jones, Senior Software Engineer, Fullpower Technologies
P.S. Contact us if you want Android 6 for Programmers 3rd Edition TestBank or other instructor sources.
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook, Android 6 for Programmers 3e in PDF. No access codes are included.