Mixed-Species Forests: Ecology and Management, (PDF) provides a detailed overview of the present state of knowledge concerning the ecology and management of structurally and compositionally diverse forests. It gives answers to central questions such as:
- Do the ecological features of mixed-species stands also translate into economic differences between monocultures and mixtures?
- How are the results of species mixtures on ecosystem functioning influenced by the particular species composition, stand structure and site conditions?
- How do mixed-species stands match with monocultures in relation to productivity, wood quality, and ecological stability in the face of disturbances and stress?
- How does any over- or underyielding at the forest-stand level develop from the tree and organ level, and what are the key mechanisms behind mixing effects?
- How can our present scientific understanding of mixed-species forests be combined into silvicultural concepts as well as practical forest management and planning?
- What are the scientific concepts used to evaluate the growth, dynamics, and functioning of mixed-species forests, how generalizable are they, and what type of experiments are necessary to develop them further?
In addition, the ebook addresses experimental designs and analytical approaches to study mixed-species forests and provides broad empirical information, general concepts, models, and management approaches for mixed-species forests. As such, it presents a valuable resource for educators, college students, and scientists, as well as professional forest planners, consultants and managers.
“Straightforward infographics and illustrations and infographics are an added advantage of the ebook, and the writing style needs special appreciation, let it be the abstracts or the take-home messages at the end of the chapters. This ebook must be recommended in the curriculum for natural resource management and forestry and is highly useful for students and also researchers.” — S. Suresh Ramanan, Basic and Applied Ecology, Vol. 35, 2019)
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook, Mixed-Species Forests: Ecology and Management in PDF. No access codes are included.