Smith’s Organic Synthesis, 4e, (PDF) provides a reaction-based approach to this important branch of organic chemistry. Updated and accessible, this eagerly-awaited revision offers a comprehensive foundation for graduate students coming from disparate backgrounds and knowledge levels, to provide them with a critical working knowledge of basic reactions, stereochemistry and conformational principles. This reliable resource uniquely incorporates molecular modeling content, problems, and visualizations, and includes reaction examples and homework problems drawn from the latest in the current literature.
In the 4th Edition, the organization of the ebook has been improved to better serve students and professors and accommodate important updates in the field. The first chapter reviews conformations, basic retrosynthesis, and stereochemistry. The next 3 chapters provide an introduction to and a review of functional group exchange reactions; these are followed by chapters reviewing protecting groups, oxidation and reduction reactions, and reagents, hydroboration, selectivity in reactions. A separate chapter discusses strategies of organic synthesis, and the ebook then delves deeper into teaching the reactions required to actually complete a synthesis. Carbon-carbon bond formation reactions using both nucleophilic carbon reactions are presented, and then electrophilic carbon reactions, followed by pericyclic reactions and radical and carbene reactions. The important organometallic reactions have been consolidated into a single chapter. Finally, the chapter on combinatorial chemistry has been removed from the strategies chapter and placed in a separate chapter, along with valuable and forward-looking content on process chemistry, green organic chemistry, and continuous flow chemistry.
Throughout the textbook, Organic Synthesis, 4th edition utilizes Spartan-generated molecular models, class-tested content, and useful pedagogical features to aid student study and retention, including Chapter Review Questions, and Homework Problems. PowerPoint© presentations and answer keys are also available online to support instructors.
- Includes reaction examples taken from literature research reported between 2010-2015
- Features new full-color art and new chapter content on process chemistry and green organic chemistry
- Winner of a 2018 Textbook Excellence Award (College) (Texty) from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association
- Fully updated and revised throughout, and organized into 19 chapters for a more cogent and versatile presentation of concepts
- Offers valuable study and teaching tools, including Chapter Review Questions and Homework Problems for college students; Lecture presentations and other useful material for qualified course instructors
NOTE: This sale only includes Smith’s Organic Synthesis, 4th edition in PDF. No access codes come with the sale