Writing and Editing for Digital Media 3rd edition (PDF) teaches high school and college students how to write effectively for digital spaces — whether blogging, writing for an app, crafting a story for a website, or using social media to expand the conversation. The exercises and lessons in each chapter help all students build a solid understanding of the ways that digital communication has introduced opportunities for multi-directional communication and dynamic storytelling. With this accessible guide and accompanying site, every students learn not only to create content, but also to become careful, creative managers of that content.
Based on Brian Carroll’s extensive experience teaching a course of the same name, this revised and updated 3rd edition pays particular attention to opportunities presented by the growth of social media and mobile media. Chapters aim to:
- Teach best practices in the areas of management, social media strategy, and use.
- Teach communicators to approach storytelling from a multimedia, multi-modal, interactive perspective;
- Assist digital communicators in understanding the socially networked, increasingly mobile, always-on, geomapped, personalized media ecosystems;
- Help communicators to put their audiences first by focusing attention on user experience, user behavior, and engagement with their user bases;
- Provide the basic skill sets of the digital writer and editor, skill sets that transfer across all media and most communication and media industries, and to do so in specifically journalistic and public relations contexts;
Updated with pedagogy and contemporary examples including examples from the 2016 presidential election that Trump won, and an expanded look at using social media, the 3rd edition broadens its scope, helping digital writers and editors in all fields, including marketing, public relations, and social media management.